Partnership for Resilience and Environmental Preparedness (PREP) Mission Statement
The impacts of climate change—from rising temperatures and extreme weather events to glacial melt and rising sea levels—threaten global economic stability and global security. Businesses depend on the stability of both in order to thrive and expand. Additionally, the disproportionate consequences of climate change on poor, vulnerable communities in the United States and around the world has implications for businesses as they frequently source or operate in communities vulnerable to climate impacts.
Business, therefore, has a critical role to play in building climate preparedness in partnership with communities and decision-makers. Business opportunities also exist to partner with vulnerable communities to develop and deploy goods and services that build resilience to climate variability and extreme weather events.
The goals of this one-year Partnership
Promote practices and economic growth that help both vulnerable communities and business adapt to the impacts of climate change; and
Promote public policies that facilitate adaptation efforts to prepare for and respond to the consequences of a changing climate.
Business can work to reduce climate risk in their supply chains and operations and to assist communities to increase their resilience to climate change by:
- Developing and sharing information regarding best practice in building climate preparedness and avoiding business practices that might negatively affect vulnerable communities.
- Working with business partners, suppliers and local communities to address shared physical risks.
- Developing products and services to manage the physical impacts of climate change and invest in climate resilience.
- Identifying opportunities to partner with vulnerable communities.
PREP public policy priorities include the following:
- Public and private investments that promote climate adaptation and resilience in vulnerable communities.
- A business environment that encourages robust climate preparedness in businesses and in communities.