As an Oxfam America employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international Oxfam confederation. Oxfam works in more than 90 countries to save lives, help people overcome poverty, and fight for social justice.
The application process at Oxfam America
Find an open position that matches your skills, experience, and interests and apply online today. Click the "apply" button at the bottom of any position description page.
View available positions
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your résumé/CV. If we determine there is a good match between your background, experience, and education and the position requirements, we will contact you for a telephone interview for initial screening. If you are selected for further consideration, you will be contacted to schedule an additional interview with a hiring committee, either in person or via telephone.
If there are no open positions that match your interests, you can still add your information to our database, so that we can send you notifications of new jobs based on your interests.
Thank you for your interest in joining Oxfam America in our fight against poverty and social injustice.
Oxfam America is an equal opportunity employer.
Oxfam affiliates work with over 3,000 partners in more than 90 countries and employ staff in a wide variety of posts. A selection of vacancies are posted on the Oxfam website along with links to all the Oxfam affiliates where more extensive employment opportunities are available.
View available positions on the Oxfam International website.
Oxfam America offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance; disability coverage; a retirement plan; and much more.
Our commitment to excellence in our work is echoed in the comprehensive benefits we offer our dedicated staff. All full-time employees and part-time employees who work at least 17.5 hours per week are eligible.
Our benefits package includes the following:
- Health insurance (provided through BlueCross BlueShield for Boston Office or United Health Care for DC Office)–small employee contribution
- Dental insurance (provided through BlueCross BlueShield)–small employee contribution
- Premium paid term life insurance at two times annual salary, $250,000 maximum
- Premium paid accidental death and dismemberment insurance at two times annual salary
- Premium paid short- and long-term disability coverage
- Unum life travel accident insurance
- Defined-contribution retirement plan (5 percent of monthly salary) after one full year of nonprofit employment; part-time employees are eligible once they have worked 1,000 hours of continuous service within a 12-month period.
- Voluntary 403(b) plan
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account option
- Qualified transportation benefit pre-tax reimbursement option
- Compensation time for exempt-level employees
- Employee assistance program (EAP) providing confidential support and consultation
- ISOS–Global emergency assistance program
- 15 paid vacation days (prorated for part-time employees, based on number of scheduled hours)
- 11 paid sick days (prorated for part-time employees, based on number of scheduled hours)
- 11 paid holidays, plus two religious holidays (prorated for part-time employees, based on number of scheduled hours)
- Three personal days (prorated for part-time employees, based on number of scheduled hours)
- $1,000 per annum paid on a quarterly basis if employee waives health insurance
Oxfam America is an equal opportunity employer.
Interns and volunteers
Read about how you can volunteer with Oxfam right in your community and how you can intern or volunteer at one of our offices in the United States.
Oxfam volunteer initiatives in your community
Concerned about poverty and hunger on a global scale, but not sure how to make a difference locally? Join our growing network of local volunteers by visiting our volunteer page. You’ll learn about how you can take action in your community to help Oxfam tackle global hunger and poverty. And, you’ll get access to all of our organizing resources, including our online calendar and free event-planning materials. It doesn’t matter who you are: if you want to make a difference, there is a place for you in the Oxfam community. Volunteer today.
Interns and volunteers at Oxfam US offices
Interested in being a volunteer or intern at an Oxfam office in Boston or Washington, DC? We're looking for highly motivated people to support our mission and bring excellent interpersonal and communication skills to the task.
All applicants will receive a confirmation email, and we’ll contact selected candidates. If no positions match your interests, you can add your information to our database, and we’ll send you notice of new opportunities based on your interests.
Interns and volunteers perform many of the same tasks and frequently work together on projects, but there are some key differences between the two positions at Oxfam.
Our interns in Boston and Washington, DC, offices:
- Are students in an accredited educational program, or have visas for their year of training after graduation
- Work for a fixed period with a set number of hours per week. Eight hours is the minimum per week, and a total of 80 hours is an acceptable minimum commitment
- May work for credit or a college-provided stipend, but are generally not paid by Oxfam America
Our volunteers in Boston and Washington, DC, offices:
- May be students or others with time to give
- Work on short-term projects or special events
- Commit as many hours as they like
Oxfam America does not provide visas for interns or volunteers. Oxfam America is an equal opportunity employer.