Despite being largely virtual, this year’s UN General Assembly opening week will remain a vital convening space where leaders and civil society can jointly discuss and tackle some of the gravest issues we face today.
At this 75th anniversary moment, it is clear that multilateral solutions are needed more than ever. World leaders are expected to focus on the impacts of COVID-19 and ways forward, without losing sight of ongoing humanitarian, climate, inequality, and human rights crises.
To mark the beginning of Climate Week and highlight the urgency of the climate crisis, Oxfam will launch a report on 9/21 that releases new data on the staggering inequality in terms of who is creating and who is suffering the worst impacts of carbon emissions. On 9/17 and 9/30, Oxfam is also joining a coalition calling for “A People’s Vaccine” to ensure all people around the world have access to a free COVID-19 vaccine.
We also have our experts weighing in on the role of the Private Sector, the state of the SDGs, the intersection of humanitarian and climate crises, global education issues, Beijing+25 and Women, Peace & Security, the UN’s call for a global ceasefire, and we will be responding to select Heads of State speeches, including President Trump’s.
Please see below for a list of our spokespeople available:
- Abby Maxman President and CEO, Oxfam America: Climate, Inequality, SDGs, Private Sector, Financing for Development, Humanitarian Crises, Gender, Local Humanitarian Leadership
- Danny Sriskandarajah, CEO, Oxfam Great Britain: Inequality, SDGs, Financing for Development
- Paul O’Brien, Vice President of Global Policy & Advocacy, Oxfam America: Inequality, SDGs
- Anna Marriott, Public Services Policy Manager, Oxfam Great Britain: Inequality, COVID-19 People’s Vaccine
- Max Lawson, Head of Inequality Policy, Oxfam International: Inequality, COVID-19 People’s Vaccine
- Kira Boe, Educational Policy Lead, Oxfam IBIS: Education
- Uwe Gneiting, Senior Private Sector Researcher, Oxfam America: Private Sector and Corporate Profit during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Tim Gore, Head of Policy, Advocacy & Research for Oxfam’s GROW Campaign: Climate, Carbon Inequality
- Abdulwasea Mohammed, Policy & Advocacy Lead for Oxfam in Yemen: Yemen
- Anna Tonelli, Senior Humanitarian Policy Advisor: Beijing+25, Women, Peace & Security