Oxfam Action Corps
Concerned about poverty and hunger on a global scale, but not sure how to make a difference at the local level? Volunteer with the Oxfam Action Corps and find out how your efforts can change the bigger picture.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP NOW!
Fight hunger with the Oxfam Action Corps
Meet some of our volunteers and find out how you can make a difference, too.
Welcome! The Oxfam Action Corps is a group of dedicated volunteers based in more than a dozen US cities who campaign with Oxfam to fight poverty around the world. We're currently teaming up with Oxfam on the GROW campaign for food justice. You can read about our latest efforts on the Oxfam Action Corps blog.
- Anyone can volunteer--no special skills required. Join the Oxfam Action Corps.
- No Oxfam Action Corps in your city? Find more ways to take action.
We’re seeking volunteers in the following US cities: Albuquerque, NM; Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Burlington, VT; Chicago, IL; Columbus, OH; Des Moines, IA; Indianapolis, IN; Kansas City, MO; Madison, WI; Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN; New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; San Francisco Bay Area, CA; Seattle, WA.
- Are you concerned that the people who grow the world’s food—many of whom are women—cannot afford to feed their own families? And that one in eight people goes to bed hungry every night even though the world produces enough food for everybody?
- Do you want to take action in your city to achieve policies to sustainably feed a growing population and empower poor people to earn a living, feed their families and thrive?
- Are you willing to reach out to others in your community to hold governments and businesses accountable for the impact of their policies and practices on the environment and global food security?
Volunteers with the Oxfam Action Corps lead a coordinated charge to improve national legislation and business practices, and to deepen local community resources for fighting poverty and injustice.
When you volunteer with the Oxfam Action Corps, you take actions like: hold a house party or collect signatures at a concert. You could lead a delegation to a lawmaker's local office, organize a petition drive, or plan an Oxfam America Hunger Banquet. Anyone is welcome to volunteer, regardless of age or experience level—all you need is a willingness to make a difference. Volunteers receive continuing support from Oxfam, including campaign materials, strategy tips, and advice on community organizing. Each city has two trained volunteer corps organizers who welcome and orient volunteers throughout the year.
Other responsibilities of a corps organizer:
- Work with other lead organizers and volunteers on a local level
- Help convene activities focused on Oxfam’s GROW campaign
- Follow policy developments and messaging
- Update blog, email announcements and social media sites with events and news
- Create plans for local action
- Lead outreach at public events like concerts and conferences
- Build relationships with like-minded organizations
- Gather volunteers for regular planning sessions
- Cultivate leadership in others
- Work within budget to accomplish goals
- Maintain strong, regular communication with Oxfam staff including tracking and reporting on activities
What volunteers have to say: “Oxfam Action Corps has really helped me professionally. Before the training I was working as an administrative assistant and never got a chance to take charge of an event. With Oxfam Action Corps I got to lead an event, reach out to allies. It prepared me for a huge career change, directing a small non-profit.” - Jessica Lettween, Minnesota.
“This is leadership in practice. You can’t just read a book on leadership. You have to put it into practice. You should see how I list this on my resume!” - Jill Mizell, New York
Email volunteer organizers in your city:
- Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM firstname.lastname@example.org
- Austin, TX: email@example.com
- Boston, MA: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Burlington, VT: email@example.com
- Chicago, IL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Columbus, OH: email@example.com
- Des Moines, IA: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indianapolis, IN: email@example.com
- Kansas City, MO: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Madison, WI: email@example.com
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New York, NY: email@example.com
- Philadelphia, PA: firstname.lastname@example.org
- San Francisco Bay Area, CA: email@example.com
- Seattle, WA: firstname.lastname@example.org
For general questions, email email@example.com