Collection of information
When you are on any of the Oxfam America Web sites and are asked for personal information, you are sharing that information with Oxfam America alone, unless stated otherwise. Oxfam America may collect information regarding Web site visitors, including IP address, browser and domain information, and information volunteered by you, such as email address. We may also monitor and track information such as visitor usage patterns of our Web site using standard site tracking software.
Personally identifiable information
Oxfam America collects personal information from visitors and other supporters when they register to join our organization and become a member, make a donation online or offline, subscribe to our e-newsletter, take an action concerning an issue using our service, or otherwise participate in one of our online communities. Our web server does not automatically recognize or collect personal information based on your email address; the personal information we collect is always voluntarily submitted by you.
Use of online information
Oxfam America uses the information we collect about you to be able to send you communications such as our e-newsletter and various printed publications or mail appeals, and to help administer and improve our web sites. Please note that we use this information for internal purposes only. If you have subscribed to Oxfam America's eCommunity, we will generally send you approximately two email communications per month.
We use Google services, such as Google Analytics, as well as other third party vendors that place first-party and/or third-party cookies on a browser across our websites. To opt out of Google tracking, please visit their opt-out page. We also use Google AdWords "remarketing" to market our sites across the web. We place a cookie on a browser, and then Google reads these cookies and may serve an ad on a 3rd party site. You may opt out of this ad serving on Google’s opt out page. If you are concerned about 3rd party cookies served by networks, you should also visit the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page.
Use of mailing information
Periodically, Oxfam makes the names of its supporters available to other organizations working for social change. If you would like us to exclude your name from that process, we would be more than happy to honor your wishes. If you have not already done so, please write to Oxfam America, List Preference Service, 226 Causeway Street, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02114-2206 and be sure to include your name and address. Or, email email@example.com or call 800/77-OXFAM(800/776-9326) and ask for the List Preference Service Desk.
Sharing of information
Oxfam America will not disclose any of your personally identifiable information, except when we have your permission or under special circumstances, such as when we believe in good faith that the law requires it. Oxfam America may use such information ourselves to contact people for marketing purposes. Given that Oxfam America is funded solely through private donations, we may share individual information with affiliated third parties (including without limitation Oxfam International and its member affiliates) and our trusted agents for marketing purposes.
Please note: We are aware of and sensitive to the issue of unsolicited email ("spam"); therefore Oxfam America will never rent, trade or sell your email address. From time to time, however, we may agree with other reputable, charitable organizations to write via postal mail to some of each other's supporters, for the mutual benefit of both. If you would prefer not to have your name used in this manner, simply send us a request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your exact name and address.
Update, correct, or delete personal information
The accuracy of your individual information is important to Oxfam America. Additionally, we have tried to streamline our operations by making it easy for you control the information that we maintain about you. Our eCommunity members can access their personal online contact information or unsubscribe to our eCommunity by visiting the eCommunity Profile Page. If you have a question about or change to your personal information related to a donation, please send an email to email@example.com.
Protecting personal information
When you give Oxfam America personal information, we take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely. Oxfam America is certified PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliant, and uses industry-standard encryption technologies when transferring and receiving sensitive visitor and constituent data (e.g., financial information) with our Web site(s). All online donations are processed via a secure server connection, which we indicate to visitors through a pop-up screen on the site. Oxfam America does not store your credit card information for future use.1 Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Oxfam America cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we use commercially reasonable efforts to ensure its security on our systems, and to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of information that we have collected.
Links to third-party sites
The Oxfam America Web site provides links to several other third party Web sites. While we make efforts to choose our links carefully, we cannot take responsibility for the content of linked Web sites, or for the privacy policies of Web sites we link to. Since we do not control those Web sites, we encourage you to review the privacy policies on those Web sites prior to any use.
Linking to the Oxfam America Web site
Generally, Internet Web sites may link to Oxfam America Web sites without seeking the permission of Oxfam America. However, such links must clearly identify Oxfam America as the source of the information displayed and preserve the integrity of the Oxfam America web pages without alteration.
"Email this page" and ShareThis® features
If you elect to use the referral service for informing another person about a page on the Oxfam America Web site, you will be asked for the recipient's name and email address. Oxfam America will automatically send the recipient a one-time email inviting them to visit the page you recommend. Oxfam America stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email. Please note that some Web browsing software or third-party plug-ins allow you to save information you have typed into an online form. If you have these features turned on in your Web browser, future attempts to send a page to another person may show their email address as pre-entered. This is a function of your software, not Oxfam America's Web site(s).
Terms and Conditions
Use of this site is provided by Oxfam America subject to the following Terms and Conditions.
- Your use constitutes acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- Oxfam America reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time by posting changes online. Your continued use of this site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions as modified. Accordingly, you may wish visit this page from time to time to review the then current Terms and Conditions.
- You agree to use this site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the site by, any third party. If Oxfam America reasonably determines that you have violated or are likely to violate the foregoing prohibitions, Oxfam America may take any action it reasonably deems necessary to cure or prevent the violation, including without limitation, the immediate removal from this Web site of the related materials.
- This site and the information, names, images, pictures, logos regarding or relating to Oxfam America are provided "as is" without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied. In no event will Oxfam America be liable for any damages including, without limitation, indirect or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever arising from the use or in connection with such use or loss of use of the site, whether in contract or in negligence or any other theory of liability.
- Oxfam America does not warrant that this site or the functions contained in the material contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represents the full functionality, accuracy and reliability of the materials.
- Copyright restrictions:
- Commercial use or publication of all or any items displayed on the site is strictly prohibited without prior authorization from Oxfam America. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring any license by Oxfam America to use any item displayed.
- Documents may be copied for personal use only on the condition that copyright and source indications are also copied, no modifications are made and the document is copied entirely. However, some documents and photos may have been published on this site with the permission of the relevant copyright owners (who are not Oxfam America). All rights in these documents are reserved to their owners, and permission to copy or otherwise exploit them must be requested and obtained directly from the copyright owners (the sources are indicated within these documents/photographs).
- If you believe that your work has been copied and is accessible on this site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide the following information to Oxfam America:
- an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- identification of the copyrighted work that you claim to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by your notice, a representative list of such works;
- identification of the content that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit Oxfam America to locate the content;
- your address, telephone number, and email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement by you that the above information in your notice is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Please send such notice to:
226 Causeway Street
Boston, MA 02114
[Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org]
We will take reasonable steps to promptly notify the user whose submission was removed or disabled that we have removed or disabled access to such content.
- If you believe that your user submission that was removed (or to which access was disabled) is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner's agent, or pursuant to applicable law, to post and use the content in your user submission, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to Oxfam America:
- your electronic or physical signature;
- a description of the content that has been removed or to which access has been disabled;
- identification of the location at which the content appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- your name, address, telephone number, and email address;
- a statement by you that you consent to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which your address is located, or if your address is outside the United States, for any judicial district in which Oxfam America may be found, and that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of claimed infringement or an agent of such person; and
- a statement by you under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the content was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the content.
Please send such notice to:
226 Causeway Street
Boston, MA 02114
[Email address: email@example.com]
If we receive a counter-notice, we may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that we may restore the removed content or cease disabling access to it in 10 business days. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the member or user, we may replace the removed content and cease disabling access to it in not less than 10, nor more than 14, business days after receipt of the counter-notice.
- As noted, this Web site may contain links to other Web sites. All such links are provided as a convenience to our users. Oxfam America takes no responsibility for the content of external Web sites.
- Any communication, material, or other user-generated content that you transmit to, or post on, any public area of the site, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, photographs, blog entries, and the like, is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary information. The foregoing applies to content directly uploaded to the site and to content that is transmitted to Oxfam America for uploading to the site.
- This Web site is administered by Oxfam America from its offices in Massachusetts. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Massachusetts. Any disputes relating to the use of this Web site shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Massachusetts or the United States District Court of Massachusetts.
- If these Terms and Conditions are not accepted in full, the use of this site must be terminated immediately.
226 Causeway Street
Boston, MA 02114
Toll-free: 800-77-OXFAM (800-776-9326)
Revised: September 2012
1 Billing information for supporters enrolled in Oxfam America's monthly giving program do elect to have credit card or EFT information stored in a secure, encrypted server environment for the purpose of processing your recurring donations. You may elect to discontinue monthly gifts at any time.